Even more than the Mai Tai, this is not just my favorite tiki cocktail, but probably my favorite cocktail of all. While it is quite similar to the Zombie, this one is sweeter, spicier, and must more flavorful and complex. This might not be the original recipe, but its the recipe I like best. For one reason, it is difficult at best to find fresh white grapefruits. I just use fresh, and its pink or red 99% of the time. The one rum that is a must is Demerara, dark rum might vary, and I find the Puerto Rican rum interchangeable with any as long as it has some flavor.
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1/2 ounce fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/2 cinnamon syrup
- 1/2 ounce JD Taylor Falernum
- 1 ounce Coruba Dark Jamaican Rum
- 1/2 ounce 151 proof Demerara rum
- 1/2 ounce Plantation 3-Star rum
- 1/8 ounce Pernod or Absinthe
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
Put all ingredients in a mixing tin or shaker, add half a cup of crushed ice last and shake or mix for 5 seconds. Pour into an old fashioned glass. No garnish with this, although I think a fresh sprig of mint just takes it to another level.